Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Internship news

So the last week has been an emotional, physical, and academic rollercoaster. On Monday I started my independent study in pediatrics. It made sense for me to study pediatrics since half of my internship would be with kids and I've only had a few courses on working with them. It was a glorious 2 days of sleeping in until 10 every morning and studying at my leisure. Well yesterday the director of clinical education calls me into her office so we could "discuss how to proceed with DPT805" (which is my internship). When I get to her office, she informs me that I will be unable to complete my internship in the origninal location, as I will not be physically able to do the required amount of lifting for the second half and that they had no other place to put me for those months. So she and I conclude that we need to find an internship site where I would be seeing exclusively outpatient musculoskeletal patients. With that in mind, I decide that it no longer makes sense for me to study pediatrics if I won't be seeing them anymore, so we get approval and switch me into the orthopaedics selective. Well, after tears, class manuevering, and reality hitting me that if she can't find me a spot I may not graduate, I leave only to find an email in my inbox from my original site saying that they have found me a slot in an outpatient, musculoskeletal setting for the second half! Praise God! Only now I'm not studying pediatrics and I will actually be seeing pediatric patients for the first half. Oh well. So there is school drama for you.

On the pregnancy scene, I will be 11 weeks tomorrow and I feel great! I am starting to tell that I have more energy and require slightly less sleep! I've been fortunate to not really have any nausea or vomiting, only indigestion and burping. And a bizarre ongoing craving for BBQ potato chips. :) Well, that's all I've got for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment