Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rome; the Eternal City






Where do I start? So much has happened in the last 3 days that I don’t even know where to begin. Rome is slightly overwhelming and definitely awe-inspiring. In a city with 2.6 million people and a 2,000 year history it’s easy to feel small and insignificant. In the last 3 days I have seen things I have only dreamed about including the Coloseum, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, Palantine hill, the Trevi fountain, the Spanish steps, the Vatican museum, and the Sistine chapel. Today I stood at the very place where Julius Cesar was burned, yesterday I stood in front of the tomb of Raphael in the Pantheon, and on Sunday I stood beneath Michelangelo’s Sistine chapel. Each day has been special and memorable and there is still more to see! Tomorrow we are going back to the Vatican to see St. Peter’s basilica; the largest church in the world, and later the cappuccian crypt, the villa Borghese gardens, and St Paul’s basilica.

We have been trying to take things slower in Rome since we have more time here. We have been doing only one or two sites in the morning and then retreating to our hotel room for a nap and to escape the grueling heat; it is truly unbearable. Then we head out again to see something else, have dinner, and explore some other corner of Rome. Last night we hired a local artist to sketch my portrait, something I have always wanted to have done. It was very intense being the focal point of an artist, and Lucas videotaped his sketching so later I got to see how he did it also. We think he did a very good job, but made my chin more pointed than it is ;) You are welcome to judge for yourself the next time you come over. Well, I think that’s all for now…

No comments:

Post a Comment